Thursday, January 22, 2009

Anniversary

So 36 years ago today, the Supreme Court ruled in Roe vs. Wade that any laws against abortion on demand violated a woman's right to privacy under the 14th Amendment. This decision overturned all laws outlawing or restricting abortion.

I am just sober and sad today, thinking of 50 million babies who might have been able to live. I wonder if one of those babies might have made a really important health discovery, or been a great orator, or an activist for peace. But every one of those babies was important; each had a destiny that was extinguished before it had a chance to unfold.

I wish that things were different, and that our country had a respect for life. I pray for women who find themselves in a difficult situation, and I pray for those who have felt the only choice for them is to have an abortion. I know that an unplanned pregnancy is a hard thing to deal with, and whatever choice you make, you have to live with the consequences for the rest of your life.

Pardon my sobriety today; it's just that this is a solemn anniversary for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment